Best Cities to Visit in the United States | America’s Best City | Most loved destination city in the World
The other day I was reading a recent article (Aug. 1st) by Buzzfeed.com about Charleston SC titled “14 Reasons Why Life is Better in Charleston South Carolina,” and it got me thinking. As locals we hear these things; and people share the articles on Facebook because it’s cool and fun to share these, but over the last few years it has hit me that it has become almost mundane and too many to remember. Have we gotten complacent over what great compliments and accolades these are simply because we hear them so often?? I hope not; because articles like these, and the thousands of readers of these publications that vote on these surveys are the lifeblood of our economy. We know how great Charleston SC is, and how amazing the quality of life is, and articles such as these only confirm what we already know to the rest of the world.
The foremost respected leading publications on travel, tourism and everything pertaining to, have spoken. Conde Nast Traveler magazine (Nation’s most respected travel publication) , and Travel & Leisure magazine readers/subscribers have consistently voted Charleston,South Carolina one of the best cities in the United States, and the world for that matter. So it’s safe to say it’s not a fluke or bias that makes these writers choose Charleston; and it’s not just these two very well-known publications; CNN, USA Today, Fodors, US News & World Report, and many others have also chimed in to say the same thing. As a side note, Conde Nast magazine’s executive editor is Anna Wintour (also long time editor of Vogue Magazine, and who movie Devil Wears Prada was based on). Every year the readers of Conde Nast are asked to vote.
“We’ve known for quite a while that Charleston is a special place with world-class amenities and attractions,? said Helen Hill, executive director of the Charleston Area Convention & Visitors Bureau. ? The fact that the sophisticated readers of Travel + Leisure also recognize this is an added bonus.”
Bill Murray – “When I go to any other place, I just go eh“… See Entire video from Parts Unknown with Anthony Bordain HERE.
Since there are SO many kind words, articles, and awards given to our fair city, I thought I’d try to list the major ones (and this isn’t all of them) for those who might have found it overwhelming to keep up. As I did the research and work it became difficult to keep up. I stopped at 2010 although I know for a fact that these articles go back much further. Hope this helps, and enjoy.
- (Aug, 2018) Money Magazine ranks Mount Pleasant SC (suburb) #25 (of fifty) Best Places in America to live.
- (Jan 2018) Readers of Travel & Leisure Magazine ranks Charleston SC #1 World’s best city in US. For 6 yrs in row
- Readers of T&L Charleston ranks #10 of 15 best cities in the world.
- (Jan 3rd, 2017) Trulia through MSN ranks Charleston #7 of top 10 hottest real estate markets.
- (Jul 2017) #2 World’s Best Top 15 Cities by Travel & Leisure Magazine
- (July 2017) Nations #1 Best City in America.
- (Oct 2017) Mount Pleasant SC (Charleston suburb) ranks #38 in USA Today’s “Most Livable” cities in America.
- (Jan 6th, 2016) Coastalliving.com ranks Sullivan’s Island in top 10 happiest seaside town.
- (May 20, 2016) #1 Tourist Destination in (5 years in row) Conde Nast Traveler Magazine.
- (June, 2016) Forbes Magazine ranked Charleston #8 of 17 The Best Midsize Cities For Jobs 2016.
- (Aug, 2016) Travel & Leisure Magazine ranked Charleston #1 WORLD’S BEST CITY.
- (Aug, 2016) Charleston ranked #1 Most Friendly city in America by Conde Nast Traveler Mag.
- (Dec. 2016) #19 – 100 Best Places to Live in 2017 by USN & World Report
- (Dec 30th, 2016) #7 of 10 Best Cities in America to Live 2017 by Town & Country Magazine.
- (Feb 7, 2015) The UK’s Mirror does a piece on Charleston (America’s Hippest City)
- (April, 2015) Conde Naste Traveler Magazine votes Charleston #3 BEST City for dining and foodies
- (April 7th, 2015) Washington Post “Search For America’s Best Food Cities“.
- (April 24th) Travel & Leisure Magazine – “Counting Down America’s Most Charming Cities“.
- (July 10th) #2 Time Magazine’s “10 Best Cities to Visit Around the World“.
- (Nov 5th) Mt Pleasant SC ranked #38 in top 50 BEST Cities in America to Live by 24/7 Wall St.
- (Dec 30th) Zagat ranks Charleston SC #15 best Food cities of 17 in U.S.
- (Oct 2014) Conde Nast Magazine voters declare Charleston SC #1 City in the U.S. & #2 in World
- (Oct 2014) Conde Nast readers ALSO vote Kiawah Island as the #1 island in the U.S., & #2 in World
- (Aug 8th 2014) Conde Nast Magazine Charleston SC #1 voted MOST friendly city in America
- (July 2nd 2014) Travel & Leisure Magazine readers ranks Charleston SC #1 city in North America.
- (July 2014) Travel & Leisure ranks Charleston SC #2 World’s Best Cities.
- (June 27 2014) USAToday has 3 of 10 BEST Southern Beaches are in Charleston – Folly Beach, Isle of Palms, & Kiawah Island
- (April, 2014) Trip Advisor ranks Charleston #13 of 25 Top U.S. Travel Destinations.
- (March 2014) Conde Nast Traveler Magazine ranks Charleston SC in top 20 Best Cities for Foodies.
- (January 2014) Fodor’s Travel ranks Charleston SC # 4 most romantic getaway cities.
- (2014) Trip Advisor ranks Charleston SC # 13 of 25 BEST destinations in the U.S.
- (January 2014) The U.K. Telegraph – (Travel Section) ranks Charleston SC #5 of 20 best destinations in WORLD.
- (2014) Forbes Magazine ranks Charleston SC #12 of 25 Best places to retire.
- (2014) USAToday.com ranks Charleston SC #2 for BEST Girls Trip.
- (July 2013) Travel & Leisure readers ranks Charleston SC #1 city in United States & Canada.
- (2013) Charleston SC ranks #7 of top 10 cities in WORLD by readers survey in Travel & Leisure Mag.
- (March 2013) Charleston ranks #3 top Small cities in America for young entrepreneurs by CEO Magazine.
- (December 2013) Millken Institute ranks Charleston SC #5 for best performing city in America for high-tech industry output for the last five years.
- (Aug 2013) Bon Appetit Magazine has TWO Charleston dining establishments The Ordinary restaurant & Xiao Bao Biscuit in top 50 Best new restaurants in America.
- (Oct 2012) *Conde Nast Travel magazine readers rank Charleston SC #1 city in the WORLD!
- (Oct 2012) Conde Nast Travel magazine readers ALSO rank Charleston SC #1 Best destination in the United States.
- (2012) Livibility.com ranks Charleston SC #2 of 10 best cities with “downtown” in United States.
- (2012) Livibility.com ranks Charleston SC #3 of 10 best spring break family destinations.
- (Oct 2012) Fodor’s Travel ranks Charleston SC in top 20 of best cities to visit in World. (only two in U.S.)
- (Aug 2011) Bon Appetit Magazine ranks Charleston’s Husk restaurant as BEST new restaurant in America.
- (Oct 2011) Conde Nast Traveler Magazine readers Charleston SC #1 tourist city in United States
- (Oct 2011) Conde Nast subscribers rank Charleston #3 Best tourist city in World.
- (2011) Southern Living Magazine ranked Charleston SC MOST polite and hospitable city in America.
- (Oct 2011) Outside Magazine (dedicated to those who love outdoor activities) voted Charleston SC # 6 best city in United States.
- (Nov. 2011) US News & World Report ranks King St, Charleston SC as one of the BEST top ten shopping streets in the United States.
- (Oct 2011) CNNGo ranked Charleston SC #3 City in the WORLD to visit.
- (2011) US News & World Report ranks Charleston SC #8 for honeymoon destinations in United States.
- (Oct 2011) Forbes ranks Charleston SC #5 for Best Weekend vacation.
- (Nov 2011) Rent.com ranks Charleston SC #9 of 10 Most Pet Friendly cities.
- (2011) TripAdvisor ranks Charleston SC #4 city in United States for Food & Wine
- (Nov. 2010) Charleston SC ranked at #1 for MOST attractive people in United States live.
- (Oct 2010) For 18th Year in row the readers of Conde Naste magazine rank Charleston SC as one of best cities in US, #2 this year behind San Francisco.
- (Sept 6th 2010) Charleston SC voted BEST tennis town by USTA.com in America
- Charleston has been ranked as the fourth best city in America, according to Travel + Leisure magazine’s World’s Best Awards 2009 readers’ survey.
- (April 2008) Bon Appetit Magazine has Ted’s Butcher Block (Charleston SC) as #3 best sandwich place in America.